Update: Don’t forget to sign-up for our free December Giveaways here. Starting December 1 (until Christmas) we will have a free giveaway each day in December! Each giveaway prize will be announced daily, along with our Advent reveal. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest to see each daily giveaway.
‘Tis the season of giving…and crafting! Advent calendars are a necessary part of celebrating the holiday season in many homes, so what better way to decorate than to make your own DIY Advent Calendar, made with envelopes? Advent calendars made up of envelopes are quickly increasing in popularity, and, as people who love envelopes…we totally see why. Rather than a different chocolate every day, our DIY Advent Calendar encourages a different holiday-themed suggestion or activity. Saving calories and crafting with envelopes? We’re on board.
There are so many different takes on this, so of course, we encourage experimenting with different colors, papers, and more! We chose to use black, white, and gold as our colors of the season, an ongoing trend this year that we’re really digging. You’re going to need some supplies to get started.
What you’ll need:
- A frame (we used 24″ x 36″)
- Mini clothes pins
- Stickers or markers for numbers (and words, if desired)
- Patterned paper (we went for Kraft paper with foil gold polka dots), or a thick wrapping paper
- Coordinating ribbon (choose something small enough to not overshadow the mini clothes pins)
- #17 Mini Envelopes (we chose Midnight Black)
- #17 Mini Flat Cards (we chose Bright White)
- Hot glue and hot glue gun
- Ruler / tape measure
- Adhesive (we used a spray adhesive)
- Skinny string or ribbon
1. Prepare your envelopes and flat notecards. Affix or write numbers on each envelope. We went for 24 envelopes for our calendar, but noticed some went up to 25 – you choose! For the flat notecards, we wrote out ideas by hand. Coming up with activities is half the fun! We ho-ho-hope you think so too.
2. Take apart the frame. We decided it was the easiest route to affix the patterned paper directly to the back of the frame.
3. It’s time to measure. We created grid lines using thin ribbon that evenly marked out where the clothes pins were to be glued down. This kept us from marking up the paper.
4. You’re ready to begin adhering or writing the letters, if you choose to include them. We went for “Merry & Bright”.
5. Use your hot glue gun to place the mini clothes pins. To add an extra dash of charm, tie small bows using the ribbon of your choice, and use hot glue to attach them to each mini clothes pin.
6. Once your envelopes are filled with all of your holiday ideas, go ahead and pin them into the mini clothes pin for each day.
7. Place the now-decorated frame-backing into your frame, and voila! You’re ready for a fun and festive December. What’s the holiday idea you’re most excited about? Let us know! We’re personally looking forward to drinking some hot cocoa… or maybe the mistletoe. Happy crafting!
No time to make your own, we’re giving away our Advent Calendar to blog readers on Black Friday. Even better, starting December 1 (until Christmas) we will have a free giveaway each day in December! Sign-up Here. Each giveaway prize will be announced daily, along with our Advent reveal. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest to see each daily giveaway.